Monday, August 9, 2010

On Free Will and Keeping Your Best Interests

I have been watching and listening as people shoot themselves in the foot and continue to vote against their own best interests and I am having a really hard time understanding why.  Why are there people out there with signs like “Keep Big Government Away From My Social Security!”  WTF?  That was a sign I saw passing a Tea Party rally.  To the lady with the sign, your Social Security is coming from your government! Sheesh!
It’s like the wing-nuts on the right are winning the propaganda war.  I sometimes feel like I’m living in he novel Catch 22. “What’s good for [big business} is good for America!”  Well sometimes yes and sometimes no. Just like what’s good for me as an individual is good for America; sometimes yes and sometimes no.  Is that the problem then? The wing-nuts can only see things as “either or” without the ability to see that there are not absolute absolutes? 

I’m sorry, I just don’t get it.  Life is a series of choices in shades of gray.  If you are a thinking person, rather than one who allows others, religion, people or whoever, do their thinking for them, I don’t have a problem with your disagreeing with me or my opinions. But I hope that your opinions are at least as considered as mine are.  If you are taking a position because of your religion, is that thinking for yourself?  Is that what God really wants you to do?  Or does the idea of freewill means that you should think things through, make your decisions, respect the decisions of others and then live with them.

All that is to say, live your life as you want to live it. Use the resources you have at your disposal, but understand that religions, dogma and politics are not absolute and are polluted by the hand of man.  If God speaks to man, look to nature for what he/she is saying.  Don’t look to other men, other than as a guide.  Listen, think, then formulate your own spirituality and belief.  Religions are about control. Spirituality is about learning and searching for meaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment